Maintaining International Student Status
The university is required to comply with the following policies for F-1 international students.
- Report to Strayer University as listed on the SEVIS Form I-20 no later than the final day of add/drop.
- All F-1 students requesting an authorized break must be in status and enrolled full-time for three consecutive quarters (may include summer) at Strayer University. Summer term is not a guaranteed break.
- Full-time enrollment equals 13.5 credit hours (undergraduate) and 9.0 credit hours (graduate) per quarter.
- F-1 students may enroll in a maximum of one online course per quarter as applied towards full-time enrollment. Undergraduate students must enroll in two on-ground classes per quarter and graduate students must enroll in one on-ground class per quarter.
- F-1 students must report any changes of address information to Strayer University within ten (10) days of the change.
- Students on Optional Practical Training (OPT) are required to report changes in employment to their Campus Dean or Associate Campus Dean within ten (10) days of the change.
- F-1 students must maintain a valid SEVIS Form I-20, including updating personal and academic changes such as requests for program extension and/or changes of degree.
- F-1 students whose cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 (undergraduate) or 2.5 (graduate) for more than two consecutive terms will be required to apply for reinstatement if sufficient academic progress is not maintained in accordance with Strayer University’s Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.
- Students in F-1 status are not permitted to accept employment without proper work authorization. Additional information pertaining to work authorization may be obtained from the International Student section of the Student Handbook, which is available online at https://icampus.strayer.edu.
- Students transferring their F-1 status after completing a degree from a U.S. institution to Strayer University must complete the admissions process within 60 days of program completion or expiration or Optional Practical Training (OPT) from their previous institution.
- All transfer students must receive their Strayer University SEVIS Form I-20 no later than 15 days after the beginning of the quarter.
- Students in F-1 status who have completed their program and who have not applied for OPT or a different degree program are required by the USCIS to leave the United States within 60 days of their last date of attendance. Students wishing to participate in their commencement ceremony must receive approval from the USCIS to change their status to B-2 (Temporary Visitor) if their classes end more than 60 days prior to graduation.
- F-1 students are individually responsible for maintaining their F-1 status.
Strayer University is required under USCIS regulations and membership in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to report the enrollment activity of F-1 students. Status of students who fail to adhere to the above guidelines will be terminated and these students are advised to promptly leave the United States. If these students feel they have an adequate reason to apply for reinstatement, they must contact their home campus as soon as possible. The student will be barred from enrollment until full compliance with USCIS regulations is obtained.
In addition, the university encourages all international students to enroll in a group health insurance plan.
The university is responsible for reporting compliance with USCIS regulations with respect to a student’s application for or maintaining the current status of an F-1 visa. Students may wish to seek outside legal counsel if they have questions regarding their non-immigrant status.