The basic requirement for admission to a Strayer University graduate certificate or master’s degree program is completion of a baccalaureate degree with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 from an accredited institution. Where the degree has not yet been issued due to institutions only conferring degrees at certain times during the year, a letter from the registrar of the institution confirming that the degree requirements were completed prior to the start of the graduate degree will need to be presented, and followed by submission of the degree or transcript showing degree conferral when available. International students applying for graduate admission must hold, at a minimum, the equivalent of a United States baccalaureate degree.
Strayer strives to maintain a diverse student body; all undergraduate academic majors will be considered. Candidates who have not earned degrees from appropriate fields of study or who do not meet professional experience requirements may be required to take additional coursework (undergraduate/graduate) as a prerequisite for completing the program. Program prerequisites will be determined during the evaluation process.
Strayer requires your correct identifying number to file certain information returns with the IRS and to furnish a statement to you. For students, this will be your Social Security number (SSN) or, if you are not eligible to obtain an SSN, your individual taxpayer identification number. Please note that if you are a nonresident alien and do not have income that is subject to tax, you are not required to supply this information to us. Failure to provide your correct identifying number could result in a penalty from the IRS imposed on each incorrect document.
- Candidates for a master’s degree or an graduate certificate (excluding those applying to the JWMI program) must provide the admissions office with all of the following:
- A completed application form (available on www.strayer.edu) and an enrollment agreement as applicable (varies by state).
- A valid, legible, current, color, government-issued photo identification.
- Documentation of completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or approved equivalent.
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, both undergraduate and graduate.
- Evidence of graduate potential; a graduate student applicant may demonstrate evidence of graduate potential by satisfactory performance in at least one of the following:
- A 2.50 undergraduate grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale in a completed bachelor's degree program from a regionally accredited institution.
- Completion of a graduate certificate at a regionally accredited institution or completion of at least 9.0 quarter hours or equivalent of graduate-level coursework at a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Successful completion of an Advanced Professional Military Education program for military officers that is accredited for graduate academic credit by the American Council on Education.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)—minimum acceptable cumulative score of 450 on the GMAT taken within the past five years. Information about this test can be obtained through the website (www.gmat.org) or by writing to: Graduate Management Admission Test Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6103, Princeton, NJ 08541-6103.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)—minimum acceptable cumulative score of 300 on the GRE taken within the past five years. Information can be obtained through the website (www.ets.org/gre), by writing to: GRE-ETS, P.O. Box 6000, Princeton, NJ 08541-6000, or by calling 1-866-473-4373.
- At least three years of professional experience in a leadership, management, or problem-solving role. Admission on this basis requires approval from a dean after review of a résumé, written statement explaining an applicant’s professional experience and acknowledgment of maintaining Strayer’s minimum GPA requirements.
Application materials submitted become the property of Strayer University. These materials will not be returned to students or forwarded to another university. If unexplained discrepancies appear between statements or documents provided to Strayer University as part of the admission materials and information otherwise obtained, applicants may be rejected for admission, admission may be revoked, or students may be dismissed.
Extraordinary circumstances: In the event that a student's official high school and/or college records are unable to be obtained from the issuing agency due to extraordinary circumstances, including but not limited to, flooding, fire, other natural disaster, pandemic, documented cyberattack (including ransomware attack) affecting the school/school system/institution that is independently verified by the school/institution, or in the case of foreign credentials, if there was governmental failure, civil war or social unrest, the student must provide to the University Registrar for a final admission decision: a copy of the Students With Extraordinary Circumstances Form for Basis of Admission Due to School Closure (Exception Form) or other similar form signed by the student and supporting documentation from the state department of education or other governmental agency verifying the information provided by the student, or documentation that the school/school system/institution is unable to process any requests due to the documented cyberattack. Where possible, students should submit other documentation to support what they select on the Exception Form.
- Candidates for the Graduate Certificate in Finance and Accounting for Entrepreneurs must have completed either MAT 510 or MAT 540, the prerequisite for ECO 500. Students may also satisfy this requirement with transfer credit.
- Candidates for the Jack Welch Management Institute Master of Business Administration program must provide the following for admission:
A completed application and enrollment agreement, as applicable.
A valid, current, government-issued photo identification.
Documentation of completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a 3.0 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale.
A minimum of five years professional experience.
A résumé or LinkedIn profile.
A personal essay; and
Satisfactory test score from the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within five years prior to enrollment. NOTE: This requirement will be automatically waived for applicants with a minimum of five years’ professional or business experience.
Evidence of graduate potential—in addition to the above, special consideration may be given to applicants who do not meet minimum GPA requirements but show graduate potential. A personal interview with the dean may be required.
Students transferring from a Strayer graduate degree program to the Jack Welch Management Institute must be in satisfactory standing with the university at the start of the first quarter in which they are enrolled.
Application materials submitted become the property of the Jack Welch Management Institute. These materials will not be returned to students or forwarded to another university. If unexplained discrepancies appear between statements or documents provided to the Jack Welch Management Institute as part of the admission materials and information otherwise obtained, applicants may be rejected for admission, admission may be revoked, or students may be dismissed.