2020-2021 Catalog

Maintaining International Student Status

The university is required to comply with the following policies for F-1 international students.

  1. F-1 students are individually responsible for maintaining their F-1 status.
  2. Initial F-1 students may enter the United States up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the Form I-20 and should report to Strayer University in person at least one week before the start of the term.
  3. Students transferring their F-1 status after completing a degree from a U.S. institution to Strayer University must complete the admissions process within 60 days of program completion or expiration of OPT from their previous institution.
  4. All transfer students should receive their Strayer SEVIS Form I-20 no later than 15 days after the beginning of the quarter. Students may request the continued attendance Form I-20 by contacting the campus.
  5. F-1 students may enroll in a maximum of one online course per quarter as applied towards full-time enrollment. In addition, undergraduate students must enroll in two on-ground classes per quarter and graduate students must enroll in one on-ground class per quarter. Independent study and hybrid courses for F-1 students must meet each week at the campus in order to be considered as an on-ground class.
  6. Full-time enrollment equals 13.5 credit hours (undergraduate) and 9.0 credit hours (graduate) per quarter.
  7. All F-1 students requesting an authorized break must be in status and enrolled full time for three consecutive quarters (may include summer) at Strayer. Summer term is not a guaranteed break.
  8. F-1 students must maintain a valid SEVIS Form I-20, including updating personal and academic changes such as requests for program extension and/or changes of degree
  9. F-1 students must report a legal name change or any changes of domestic or foreign address information, phone, or email to Strayer within 10 days of the change.
  10. Per USCIS rules and regulations, F-1 students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 (undergraduate) or 3.0 (graduate) for more than two consecutive terms will be required to apply for reinstatement if sufficient academic progress is not maintained in accordance with Strayer Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.
  11. Students in F-1 status are not permitted to accept employment without proper work authorization. Additional information pertaining to work authorization may be obtained from the DHS website, Study in the States, which is available online at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/
  12. Students on optional practical training (OPT) are required to report changes in employment to their SEVP portal within 10 days of the change. Students must contact the campus to request an updated Form I-20 listing the new employer.
  13. Students in F-1 status who have completed their program and who have not applied for OPT or a different degree program are required by the USCIS to leave the United States within 60 days of their last date of attendance. Students wishing to participate in their commencement ceremony must receive approval from the USCIS to change their status to B-2 (temporary visitor) if their classes end more than 60 days prior to graduation.

Strayer University is required under USCIS regulations to report the enrollment activity of F-1 students in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Status of students who fail to adhere to the above guidelines will be terminated and these students are advised to promptly leave the United States. If these students think they have an adequate reason to apply for reinstatement, they must contact their home campus as soon as possible. Students will be barred from enrollment until full compliance with USCIS regulations is obtained.

In addition, the university encourages all international students to enroll in a group health insurance plan.

The university is responsible for reporting compliance with USCIS regulations with respect to a student’s application for or maintaining the current status of an F-1 visa. Students may wish to seek outside legal counsel or the DHS website, Study in the States, if they have questions regarding their nonimmigrant status.